Wednesday, October 12, 2011

All the Shah's Men Reading/Questions 2

So far, I've really enjoyed reading All the Shah's Men.  I've found it to be more readable than most other books that we read for history class.  It actually reads like a story rather than like a textbook and it isn't crammed to the brim with facts.  It allows the reader to go more than a page without having to stop to think about what happened in what he/she just read.  I just read the fourth chapter titled "A Wave of Oil" and was amazed by some of the things that I learned from it.  For instance, APOC (now BP) owned MOST of the country of Iran for a significant period of time (that time being not too long ago).  BP was basically its own country with a different name slapped on the front.

As a side note, it's always weird studying things that happened really recently for me.  Because it makes me realize how much has changed in not a lot of time.  It also makes me wonder if things like that can happen again or ARE happening and I just don't know about it.  It's a scary thing to think about as a kid.

Anyway, back to the reading.  I found it interesting that England basically forced Reza Shah into selling them iranian land by helping him when he was in trouble so that he would have to repay them somehow.  It's like something right out of the Godfather.  I hope we talk about this more in class...

No comments:

Post a Comment