Sunday, October 9, 2011

Obama's View on Cuba

On my desktop, CNN.com is my homepage for my web browser.  This gives me the opportunity to learn about things that are happening RIGHT NOW in the world as they are developing.  It also expands my knowledge of total global functionality and the ways that different people and countries interact with each other.  I can usually spend hours just clicking on the stories on the side of the story that I'm currently looking at and seeing where it takes me.  Usually, I end up in a dead end but sometimes it takes me somewhere relevant to what we are talking about in history class.  Recently, I found an article about a conversation between Fidel Castro and Barack Obama.  Well, it wasn't really a conversation so much as it was public announcements about the other person.  Childish public announcements.  Basically, Obama suggested that Cuba make changes in order to "improve bilateral relations" and Fidel responded by calling him stupid.  Just, stupid.  Obama responded by saying that they would be willing to make changes once cuba started actually caring about foreign issues and about its people.  Castro then responded with a quote in a Cuban news paper "How nice!  How intelligent!  So much generosity has failed to let him understand that after 50 years of blockade and crimes against our country, they haven't been able to bow our people."  Which basically means that Fidel thinks that even though America is attacking and secluding Cuba, the people are completely fine.  Neither part of that statement is true.  America has not been attacking Cuba and the Cuban people are NOT fine.  Something needs to happen soon or that whole country is going to fall into an even worse economic depression.  One that they can't get themselves out of.

This argument sounds like something that two ten-year-olds would be fighting about.  It sounds like something that "mom" would have to get in the middle of.  But in reality, there is no "mom" to settle arguments between countries, especially two countries as mature as the USA and Cuba.  And to be honest, I've never seen a political leader make a publicly sarcastic statement about another politician, especially the President of the United States.  I think that, as long as we are on the topic of Cuba, this should definitely be something to be raised in our future conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment